Wednesday, October 3, 2007

One year without MS Office (offtopic)

It has been about a year since I used MS Office applications on my laptop. No, I didn't set on a year-long office-deprived journey on purpose. I just did not have a use for it! Although I still have MS Office installed on my laptop, because there was no way to get a decent laptop from Dell without one, I have never opened Outlook, Word or Excel. All my spreadsheets are done online on Google Documents, all my email is in online mail services such as GMail hosted and Zimbra, and for documents I use OpenOffice. I am happy to say, I do not miss waiting nervously for several minutes while Outlook is launching (that's on 2 Ghz/2Gb Core Duo machine)! I do not miss Excel's lousy window management, and most of all I do not miss having to carry around a jumpdrive with all the documents that I need to access from different machines and fearing that I will loose it! I do not miss spending a day on reinstalling, reactivating MS Office and resetting all the preferences every time I reinstall the OS or get a new machine! Goodbye bulky software, hello SAaS (Software As a Service)!

No comments: